NCJWANCJWA Sylvia Gelman Foundation
The NCJWA SYLVIA GELMAN FOUNDATION, currently being set up, has the potential to advance Women’s Rights within the Jewish community, the wider Australian community and internationally.
WE PLAN TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE TO THE PRESENT AND FUTURE GENERATIONS OF WOMEN AND GIRLS.
THE FOUNDATION AIMS TO:
• Promote activities nationally and internationally to assist women and girls, through education and research, to achieve their aims and aspirations
and to take their rightful place in society and in their communities.
• The NCJWA Sylvia Gelman Foundation has the potential to advance women’s rights within the Jewish community, the wider Australian community
SYLVIA GELMAN AM MBE (z”l)
Sylvia Gelman made a significant contribution to the Jewish and general communities for over six decades, particularly in the areas of education and women’s rights.
Sylvia taught at Mount Scopus Memorial College for 20 years, rising to the position of Headmistress. In 1970 Sylvia joined the National Board of NCJWA and was elected National President in 1973. Sylvia was made Life Governor of NCJWA and was a deeply loved and highly respected mentor for subsequent leaders of the organisation.
Sylvia was also President of the National Council of Women of Victoria and was a Life Member of the International Council of Jewish Women. Sylvia’s wide-ranging activities and achievements have been acknowledged with an MBE, a Member of the Order of Australia, inclusion in the Victorian Honour Roll of Women and the JCCV Sir John Monash Award.
NCJWA is honouring Sylvia Gelman AM MBE (z”l), by establishing an Educational Foundation to mark her centenary year.
You can play a crucial role in establishing the Foundation, thereby delivering positive outcomes for women and girls:
• A Board of Trustees will oversee the Foundation and call for scholarship applications from Australian women.
• A formal Selection Committee will ensure that Scholarships will be offered to suitable candidates for study or research in the area of Women’s Rights.
• Scholarship recipients will be required to maintain a connection with NCJWA for a minimum period.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
• Speak to us about becoming a major donor and be acknowledged as a powerful enabler on the Foundation’s materials.
• NCJWA is in the process of applying for tax deductibility for donations to the Foundation.